Hi, all - I realize that it has been quite a long time since I posted. I'm fine - really! In fact Kent and I just returned from a 6 day road trip. Before I tell you about the trip, let me give you a medical update:
I met with Dr. Rich, my oncologist, on Monday the 29th. Here is what we covered:
1. I have a little neuropathy in my feet. That means that my toes are a little numb and sometimes tingly. Hopefully, it will improve and not get worse. It is a side affect of chemo.
2. My fingernails are partially yellow - also a side affect of chemo.
3. My Vitamin D level is just under normal. I will be taking a Vitamin D pill daily and in 8 weeks I go back and see if my levels have improved. Why is this an issue?:
My cancer is estrogen positive. That means that estrogen helps cancer grow. Now that I am through with chemo I need to take some kind of anti-estrogen pill for the next 5 years. My choices are:
a medication that blocks estrogen receptors. The side affects of this med - hot flashes; possible blood clots; increased chance of getting uterine cancer.
The second option, and the one both I and Dr. Rich prefer, a medication that blocks the production of estrogen. The side affects of this med - hot flashes; bone loss; stiffness in my joints - usually worse in the mornings.
So now back to the Vitamin D issue. I have osteoporosis, so losing bone density from this medication is not a happy option. Dr. Rich had me go in for another bone scan the day after our appointment. He wants to see how my bones compare to last year. I haven't yet heard from him on that. So I need to continue taking my calcium and increase my dose of Vitamin D. I think Dr. Rich is also going to prescribe a bone thickening medication as well. Please keep my bones in your prayers.
5. Since my chemo is finished, I don't need my port anymore. I can't get in to see Dr. Tittensor until after September 22, so I don't know anymore than that at this point.
6. After radiation, I have follow up visits for several years. I start by going in every 3 months for a couple of years, then every 4 months etc. then once a year for a few years. As we discussed this part I think Dr. Rich could see that I was feeling a little discouraged about my future life. He told me - "Don't let chemo control your life. People who go back to normal activity and keep busy, recover much quicker and better than those who lay around watching soap operas and wishing they felt better. :) That is what I intend to do. In fact, I came out of that visit feeling lighter and more optimistic than I had in quite awhile. Thank you, Dr. Rich.
If I could ask another focus on your prayers, please - tomorrow I go in for my "simulation" appointment before I begin radiation. I'm nervous about the tattoos! :( Your prayers would help.
I will post again soon about our fabulous road trip!!
No comments:
Post a Comment