Monday, September 12, 2011

Road trip, day 5

The motel actually served breakfast today. They didn’t have enough seating for a Labor Day crowd. We were lucky to get a table. I saw one guy using a box as a table!
We drove to a place called Merced for sacrament meeting. I thought it was interesting that the stake there has a grape orchard for their welfare farm. They had an assigned day and certain rows that were their responsibility.

After church, we spent the whole day on the road. We drove on I-5, up the center of the state of California, which was long, hot, and not very interesting. I enjoyed that drive more than Kent did, but I also took an hour-long nap! ;)

Our destination was another national park. Neither of us had heard of it before. We both wished we had gotten there earlier in the day so we could have spent more time. We arrived at the south entrance of Lassen Volcanic National Park at about 5 p.m.


It is a small national park, but the scenery was/is amazing. The volcano that was here originally, erupted in 1914 - the park is what was left behind. Just look at the beautiful sites we saw:


Yes, this is snow:






This lake had ice in it 10 days ago!





My favorites, of course, are the flowers:







Our stops were all pretty short and quick because it was getting dark.
The drive to our motel was also beautiful. We are staying in Susanville.

When we got to the motel there was a 1982 Roy Orbison concert on television. That was really fun! Sorry, if that really weirds some of you out!

No comments:

Post a Comment