I guess I've kind of left you hanging since I got my tattoos! Sorry. I started radiation treatments on Monday. I think I told you that the office assured me the visits would be 20 minutes max. Well, maybe starting tomorrow! :)
Basically, here is the routine. I arrive at 10:15 am, everyday. I wave to the receptionist as I pass through the lobby. I go to the dressing room and change. I go to the waiting room and wait - usually 1 minute or less.
Then one of the therapists comes and gets me. So far I've met Brooke, Brooke, and Gary. No, I don't mean the same Brooke - there are 2 of them. I go into the room and lay on a hard, flat table. I have a pillow under my knees and my neck is in this "V" shaped thing and my head rests on the table behind. Then I raise both of my arms over my head and hold onto a metal handle behind my head. The therapist puts a large rubber band around my feet so that I don't wiggle, or cross them during the treatment. Sounds comfy, huh??? :) They DO always ask what kind of music I would like to listen to while I get treated. Anyone have requests?
That takes, maybe, 5-7 minutes. When I'm done I go back and get dressed and wave again as I walk through the lobby to the door. That's it.
Here are the reasons, so far, that it has taken longer than they said:
Monday they had to recheck all of the measurements they had done last week - to make sure they were accurate. I'm thankful for that - everything was perfect!
Tuesday they did a little bit different treatment. The doctor has ordered this treatment every other day. The therapists call it "using the cold stuff". What they do is lay this big square of "gel" stuff over the area and then do the radiation. It is cold and it brings the radiation up closer to the skin. After my treatment, they sort of required me to meet with the onocology social worker. I'm glad that they provide this kind of service, but since I've already gone through chemo - I've been made aware of the services there to help me - plus I have all of you!!!!! YOU are my social workers!
Wednesday, today - I met with Dr. Clark following my therapy. That happens every Wednesday. Wednesday is also treat day - they have this shelf covered with juice, fruit, and munchies - free to anyone in the office that day. ;)
I've been using the lotion recommended by my friend. The nurse asked me today what I was using. She was very happy and positive about Radiaderm - said it seems to work really, really well for those she has seen use it. That made me feel even better about buying it!
Well - that's all there is to it, so far! Thank you for your continued prayers and love on my behalf. They mean a lot! Tomorrow - the rest of the road trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment