Thursday, December 1, 2011

Aloha 4

Look at these wonderful birds:

The white one is an egret. I've seen them here, hanging around cows and horses. They follow around behind them and eat the bugs kicked up by the animal's hoofs. In Hawaii I saw a couple of them chasing after a lawn mower - same effect as the hoofs, I guess!! It was funny.

I don't know what this is, but it sure is beautiful!



We left Thursday morning at 7:00 am to drive to the airport. We forgot to fill it with gas so had to pay a bit more to have them do it. The flight was uneventful. Kent took a couple of pictures as we flew over the big island:


The "eventful" part came when we went to pick up our rental car. There was one, literally. People had not returned the cars on time so our option was a big truck or wait. We chose to wait, which meant they would drive us to our hotel and then bring the car when it arrived. We had a full day planned, so we weren't very happy about the delay, but . . . .

This was our hotel - not fancy but nice.After we checked in we walked a short way down the road and found a place to have lunch - "Uncle Billy's". This is what we saw on the walk to and from the restaurant:


Inside "Uncle Billy's" :

Happily, just as we arrived back at the hotel, the rental car arrived. It worked out perfectly.

Our first stop was Akaka Falls: a -- maz -- ing!!!


It rained on us, of course. At first we tried to share an umbrella but we just kept poking each other with it and getting dripped on, so we figured - ah, who cares!
I look like I'm cold - but it was very warm!


Our next stop was going to be a botanical garden, but we got there 15 minutes too late. :( So we drove to another "walk through the jungle" spot instead.

Here is the view on the way there:



This was a quaint little town we drove through:


We parked along the street and then began the walk down towards the ocean:


AAAGH! I just thought of how close December 28th is! [Sorry - totally unrelated to Hawaii!]

More scenes on the way down:


We were not deterred by these signs - :)


When we got to the bottom:


To and from the falls, we took a wonderful 4-mile scenic drive. Here is the "scenic" part:



Rather than go and sit in the hotel all evening, we went to dinner and a movie.


This was in a large strip mall. We stopped in Walmart too, and bought me a couple of aloha tops. Walmart was selling Christmas trees, and the smell was divine! I just assumed that there would be some sort of Hawaiian version to Christmas trees - but these were Douglas firs. I don't know where they come from.
It was a very nice end to a lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment