Thursday, April 14, 2011

Surgery

Well, I'm home. All went very well. The doctor was happy. She removed my right breast and several lymph nodes from under my arm. 3 were cancerous - they already knew that - and the rest looked healthy to her. The pathology tests will tell us for certain. I'm wrapped up tight and have 2 drains coming out of my right chest. Kent has learned how to take care of those until they come out. I also have a port under my left collar bone through which they will administer the chemo.
When I had my knee replacement surgery I was SO nervous going in and still get sick to my stomach when I think about going through it again. But, I felt nothing but calm and peace going into this one. I am so grateful for that!
We arrived at the Same Day Surgery at the American Fork Hospital at 9:00 am Wednesday morning. I signed in on this kiosk that works just like a wedding registry. After you check in you get this "restaurant" beeper that goes off when it is your turn. Much more efficient. I have noticed, however, that every office has you fill out lots of forms - some of them a repeat of the previous office visit. Then, when the nurse meets with you, she doesn't look at what you wrote - she just asks you the questions over again. Why don't they just fill out the forms as they ask you the questions? :):)
Even the IV insertion was the best I've ever had. She actually numbed the sight before putting in the IV. At one point there were quite a few people in the little dressing/gerny room - 2 anesthesiologists, 3 O.R. nurses and the surgeon. "How do you do?" "Nice to meet you". "See you in the O.R." Hah, I never even SAW the O.R. Next thing I know I'm waking up in recovery, in considerable pain. It didn't last too long, however - they pumped me full of morphine and took me up to my room.
Kent stayed with me until dinner time and then he went and had dinner with a good friend and I ate dinner while visiting with Becky, Sarah and the Tuomisto kids. Very fun. The rest of the evening, however, was not so fun. I got a terrible headache which eventually caused me to throw up. I waited quite a long time before a nurse could come and help me because there was a cardiac patient having lots of trouble on our floor. [If I were the cardiac patient I would want them to take care of me over some sick lady!] They did finally get me something for my headache but then the rest of the night was spent waking up to my machine or someone else's beeping, nurses coming in to take my blood pressure and check my oxygen level, trying to change some tubing on my IV that actually caused the antibiotic to pool at the sight and require another IV to be put in. Pretty typical night in the hospital. :)
Morning came, they gave me more headache medicine and restricted my breakfast intake. My sweet nurses aide gave me a bath and washed my hair. I felt 100% better from then on. I even walked up and down the hall a couple of times by myself. Best of all, I have been able to lengthen the time between pain meds because the pain isn't too bad. I continue to feel very blessed.
It is good to be home, in my own bed.
What comes next? The pathology results should be done in a few days and Dr. Tittensor [yes, that is the surgeon's name!] will call me with the results. I have an appointment with her for one week from today, at which time she will, hopefully, be able to remove one of the drains and give me some simple exercises to get the use of my right arm back. After another week or so I will meet with the oncologist and set up the next stage of treatment!
I'm looking forward to a night of no beeping, throwing up, or tests! YAY!
Love to all

3 comments:

  1. Oh hospital nights---what fun! :) Your bright attitude is inspiring. I'm happy to read things are moving along in positive ways. No doubt this is miserable to go through but it sounds like you are in good hands.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that things look so positive! Also glad you survived the surgery and the awful time period after-even when things go well, it's been my experience both as a nurse and as a patient that those 12 hours after surgery leave you feeling miserable. As for hospital nights, I always try to warn my patients that the hospital is no place to get a good night's sleep. We're thinking about you and praying for you. Thanks for keeping us updated! Lots of love from your favorite niece, Jen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one who manages to throw up from the morphine or anesthetic. The last time they gave me anti-nausea med. but it made it worse. It took longer to throw up. I always feel much better once I get rid of it all. Hang in there. You inspire me. Love, Sharon

    ReplyDelete