Thursday, April 7, 2011

Glorious News!

I never thought I would be so excited to face surgery and chemo! Funny how life can change your perspective!! Kent and I met with the surgeon this morning and found that the cancer has NOT spread beyond the breast/lymph nodes. I am scheduled for surgery next Wednesday, March 13. I love the surgeon - she makes me feel very comfortable and she was about as happy with the scan results as we were! Doctor Rich, my oncologist, called me after the surgeon's visit and told me that the biopsy tests also came back. What they showed: How fast the cells are growing - stage 2 (low is 1 and high is 3); Her2neu - negative, which is really good. However, the doctor said that it was "completely" negative and they want to run another test on the tissue they remove in surgery to make sure. Hormone receptors: estrogen + -- so estrogen stimulates cancer growth - I will have some kind of treatment for that. Surgery: lumpectomy and axillary dissection [remove the lymph nodes], followed by 6 weeks of radiation. 5% chance of local recurrence mastectomy and axillary dissection, followed by radiation. 2% chance of local recurrence I'm still pondering that one insert a port to administer the chemo through possibly begin some reconstructive surgery I will spend overnight in the hospital [American Fork Hospital] and then come home with 1 or 2 drains in. After about 2 weeks I will meet with the oncologist to set up the next stage of treatment. Prayers have already been answered - thank you SO much. I love you all.

3 comments:

  1. You have such a wonderful attitude! We love you and are keeping you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH!!! What great news! Tina, Erika, and I were talking today (as we threw rocks in the valley of Elah) about how much we miss you and how much we are praying for things to go well for you. Thanks for keeping us updated!

    ReplyDelete