Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Guess What?

Kent and I are returning to Jerusalem beginning Winter semester! Actually, we will probably leave right after Christmas so that we can have some time to regroup before the students arrive.
Most of you know that they asked us to go back soon after we returned home in April. But it was completely based on my health and well-being. That came first. Kent and I decided that we wouldn't even discuss it until my treatments were finished - which will be at the end of October. We wanted to focus on fighting the cancer and anything else seemed irrelevant.
As time has gone on, and I've been SO blessed throughout the treatments, we - especially me - began to think more seriously about going back. Are there lots of reasons why I don't want to go back? Oh, yes! In my "logical mind" I can easily see why we shouldn't go back. However, somewhere in Proverbs it says "lean not unto thine own understanding." But, "in all things acknowledge God and He will direct your paths for good." Or something similar to that.
Well, there are things that have taken place in the last few months that I have tried to ignore, but can no longer do so. Here are a few of them:

1. When the new faculty arrived in Jerusalem in August, one of them posted a picture of their family on their JC apartment balcony. When I saw that picture I had a surprising reaction. I felt an ache in my heart - like WE should be there too!
2. Remember my conversation with Dr. Rich about a month ago? I mentioned that I felt "lighter and more optimistic" than I had in a long time. Well, what I didn't mention was the real reason for that lightness. :) Dr. Rich didn't just tell me to get on with my life but to go back to Jerusalem. He thinks it will be the best way for me to heal. When he told me that I felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders.
3. When we first returned home, Jim Kearl told us that since we didn't know how things would go with my cancer, they would need to replace us at the Jerusalem Center. But, they haven't been able to. So far, they have only found people who could go for 1 semester at a time.
4. There are other things as well, but the bottom line is, the answer to our prayers about going back has been "yes, go back."


We have been SO blessed throughout this cancer adventure that we owe the Lord big time! We know that this is what He wants us to do at this point.

11 comments:

  1. I'm SO happy for you and the decision you've made. We'll miss seeing you at Lifting Hearts meetings, but this is obviously something that Heavenly Father wants you to do. I hope you can make it to one or more of our remaining meetings this year, so that we can see you again before you go. And please keep in touch - if you have time to answer questions, or share your story with new patients, that would be great.

    Take Care,
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you!! You will be able to bless so many other students. I am grateful for you two and all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you and Kent! All our love

    Roger and Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yippee! I'm so glad for you. You are such an inspiration to me, Aunt Nancy. Thanks for sharing so many intimate moments with us all. We love you!
    Jen (remember, your favorite niece?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know being at the Jerusalem Center isn't exactly the same thing but I was just thinking about Elder Holland's missionary talk from the Priesthood Session and this feels very similar. Not only will the lives of so many students be blessed because of your willingness, but yours will be as well. What an amazing opportunity!!

    I don't know if you remember, but I was very sick on my mission. I often wondered if I should be home instead of in the mission field because I felt like I wasn't able to give as much as I wanted to give. Fortunately, though, the Lord still wanted me there. It wasn't until I came home and no longer had the sustaining benefits of the spirit that accompanies missionaries that I realized how much I had been blessed physically while I was there. I think your doctor is right: this will be a great place for healing.

    Though we will miss you {no one more than my mom}, God speed in your next adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Jen - and thanks for your prayers through all of this. your favorite aunt!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lora - I had forgotten about you being sick on your mission. Thanks for the sweet thoughts - it does make me feel less apprehensive. I think I'm really worried that I've already been blessed so much that it's someone elses turn now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you Ann - students like you are what make the service so wonderful!!! Thanks for being part of our semester!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhonda - we love you and Roger so much. Your prayers have helped us through all of this. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kara - I will indeed try to keep in touch. I would love to be able to help anyone I can - I have been so blessed by others myself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YEAH!!!! We are super excited to have you back!!

    ReplyDelete