Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A little bit more about radiologist visit

OK, I'm feeling a bit better about my visit on Monday, so I'll share just a bit of info.
1. The reason I have to do radiation is:
2/3 of the women who have my kind of cancer and have gone through the exact same surgery/treatment would not need radiation - the cancer would be gone.
1/3 would NOT be cancer-free and would need the radiation.
There is no test they can do that will tell them which women fall into which category - hence everyone does the radiation - just in case.

2. Side affects from radiation "should be" easier than chemo. Here are the most common ones:
"Sunburn" to the radiated area - can get bad enough to blister and peel although they don't think mine will because I'm not doing it as long as some do. They also gave me a list of lotions I can use to help with that.
Muscle aches under the skin, from radiation - take Advil unless something stronger is needed.
Fatigue -- I "should" have more energy than with chemo but not as much as if I WEREN'T doing radiation.
Lymphadema in my arm. Retention of fluids - swelling etc. I've decided that this is what is making me anxious. I thought lymphadema showed up after the SURGERY. Since I've come this far without any issues, I thought I had put that concern behind me. Apparently not. The doctor will give me a prescription for a mastectomy sleeve that I have to wear whenever I fly. Hopefully, that will be the extent of it!

I think the rest of my anxiety is just the unknown - which seems silly to my logical mind, given what I've already gone through -- but there it is!

Anyway, I have an appointment in about 2 weeks to get an X-ray and Catscan of the area and then little tattoos to mark exactly where they want to do the radiation. One week after that I being 5.5 weeks of radiation. I go in everyday, Monday - Friday, for about 20 minutes or less and have the weekends off.

On the upside - I REALLY like Dr. Clark and his staff. So good!

1 comment:

  1. Nancy - You are still my heroine. I don't think I could do what you have had to do. I hope I never have to find out. We love you and Pray for you daily. Love, Sharon

    ReplyDelete