I just realized how long it has been since I last blogged - sorry. First of all, let me show you what I am looking at out my window as I blog:
I went outside to get a closer picture - wish you could hear the hum of the bees and smell the sweetness of the blossoms!
Where to begin - last Friday, May 6, was an unforgettable day for me. President Packer and Elder Holland came down to BYU to speak to the Religion faculty and their spouses. We assumed that there was a reason/agenda behind the visit. However, Elder Holland spoke first, and he assured uas that they had come just to say "hello" and "we love you." As a wonderful addition, President Packer left an apostolic blessing on the faculty and through them, their families! As President Packer said himself, "this is no small thing!"
The class was to show us how to use the products and also to demonstrate ways of wearing hats and scarves when we lose our hair. They also talked a little about wigs. It was a lot of fun and mad e me excited to go shopping! :)
Now, let me give you a little background to help explain what happened after the meeting. Elder Holland is the apostle who works directly with the Jerusalem Center. He and Kent have corresponded now and then over the years in this regard.
Shortly, AFTER Kent and I returned home in April, Elder Holland was in Jerusalem and spoke to the students at a special Saturday fireside. He, of course, learned that Kent and I had had to cut short our service there because of my cancer. Anyway, back to Friday:
We all stood as President Packer and Elder Holland filed out of the room. As Elder Holland passed us, he took me by the arm and said "Are you doing ok?" I assured him that I was. Then he said, "Look me in the eye, and tell me that you are doing ok."
AAAH - I still can't believe that he remembered, and that he would take a minute to say something to me - just plain old me. I'll never forget it!
Ok, now on top of that I had a wonderful Mother's Day with my sweet family. I even got to talk to Jonny on the phone! I am a lucky woman and very blessed.
This week - I AM FREE, AT LAST!!! I got my second drain out on Tuesday. It is amazing how unencumbered I feel: nothing swinging around while I'm showering, nothing to roll over on when I sleep, nothing to empty, measure or stuff gauze around, no more leaking!! It is awesome.
Last night I went to a "Look good, feel better" class. This red bag is full of make up and lotions donated to the American Cancer Society for cancer patients:
The class was to show us how to use the products and also to demonstrate ways of wearing hats and scarves when we lose our hair. They also talked a little about wigs. It was a lot of fun and mad e me excited to go shopping! :)Tomorrow is THE day - my first chemo treatment. I am nervous -- knowing sort of what to expect, but not knowing for certain how I, personally will handle chemo. At least I'm on my way through!
Thank you for the chocolate flowers, pink carnations, cards, phone calls, help with boxes and especially for all the love and encouragement! Everyday is a blessing because of all of you!!!!
you're so amazing!! let me know if you want a shopping partner. xoxo
ReplyDelete