Thursday, May 5, 2011

not so bad

Well, today I went to my chemo class. I have worried about it because I was certain that it would make me even more nervous and pessimistic about starting chemo. Gratefully, it did just the opposite. I feel much more calm and at peace! 3 of my daughters and Kent also went - they all felt the same way. And it helped me a lot, to have them there.
First, we watched a 30-minute video about chemo. The "talking heads" were actual chemo patients who shared their own fears and uncertainties when they wen through chemo. Then they had a medical person who answered those questions - and then the patients told their own experiences. It was very helpful.
After the video, Dr. Rich's nurse came in and went over what exactly would happen the day I go for chemo:
First I will meet with the doctor, have a blood test to make sure I'm not anemic or in some other way not healthy enough to start chemo.
Then they give me an IV with 2 anti-nausea meds in it and a medication that helps those meds work more efficiently. Then they give me the chemo drugs. The nurse went over each of those and what side affects there could be and what they and I can to do treat those side affects. She answered all my questions as well as those from my daughters, and Kent. It was very, very helpful and HOPEFUL.
Add to that, the beautiful spring day and it was a very nice day!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment