Tuesday, November 1, 2011

2 new cancer adventures!

This past week has been good and not so good. I had an appointment on Tuesday, with a lymphedema specialist. Because I had 9 or 11 [can't remember] lymph nodes removed during my mastectomy, my lymphatic system is now compromised. The smallest infection from a cut, or overdoing heavy lifting with that arm, or getting too much sun - the list goes on - could cause the onset of lymphedema. That means fluid will build up in my arm. The specialist told me the other things that could happen - worst case scenario - but I quit listening. It was too unsettling! There is only a small percent chance that I will develop lymphedema. To reduce that risk I was given a pageful of things to do or not to do.
The main reason I went in was because Dr. Clark prescribed a compression sleeve for me to wear whenever I fly. The specialist took several measurements up and down both arms and then ordered a sleeve that will fit ME. They will call me when it arrives.

Here is what I was sent home with:

This nice bag to hold everything. The bottle is a special soap to clean the sleeve with. The packets are lotion and gel that I use on my arm.


A DVD that I haven't watched yet



I put this on my arm BEFORE I put on the sleeve to help it slide more easily. Then I pull it out once the sleeve is in place.


These lovely gloves, pink of course, help me slide the sleeve and get out all of the wrinkles

Doesn't this all sound so fun?? I have to put the sleeve on 2 hours before I fly and leave it on for 2 hours after I fly.

Now, so that I don't end on a down note - the second experience was a good one. I finally got my prosthesis. The ladies were SO nice and helpful. I feel really good about it!

To improve the mood further - Kent and I have the opportunity to go to Hawaii, again! Not so great for him because he has to speak several times, but we do get a vacation out of it! I just hope my sleeve arrives before we fly out.

No comments:

Post a Comment