Friday, November 9, 2018

Arizona to New Mexico

Today was another adventure and new sites. Our first stop was here:

I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't this!

We felt like we were walking on some alien planet. All those logs you see are pieces of petrified trees!


If you're interested in the process read below.


Here are some close ups: 




Another shot of the "alien" landscape:

These next pictures are of an area called the Blue Mesa. I began the walk with Kent, but very quickly there was a steep decline which I "declined" [Kent's joke] to take. I took this picture in the parking lot. The car was parked next to ours. I thought it was funny, and would only work if they were facing the right direction:
😂

Here are Kent's pictures of the Blue Mesa:


On our way out, we stopped to see some overlooks of the Painted Desert:


We had planned to go to Canyon de Chelly. However, we would have had to add about 2 hours to our drive to go in and then come back out, so we went to a place called Window Rock instead. There was a nice museum there - the Navajo Nation Museum. Window Rock is the capital of the Navajo Nation. We noticed as we were driving that many of the businesses were handing out candy to trick-or-treaters. New concept for me!

The museum was not an archaeology museum but a political statement about the 1868 treaty between the US military and the Navajo Nation and on our treatment of the Navajo people. A lot of the story was told through art and craft work. It was a nice museum - and another reminder of a dark part of our American history. I thought we both took more pictures than this, but these were all I found:



Our day ended in Gallup, New Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment