Thursday, August 30, 2012

3 Days on Mt. Scopus

So 2 weeks plus a couple of days my arm looked like this. Kent was in Galilee with the new faculty, so Dr. Dave and his wife, Jan took me to my follow-up appointment. These are the same people who spent an entire day with me when I first broke my arm. Little did any of us know.
 
We came back here, just not through the emergency doors:
 
 
Here's how the day went. We arrived at 8:15 am. We checked in -- that took two stops to find the correct place. Paid some money and went to see the ortho doctor. I was about 6th in line. The doctor sent me down to get another x-ray. That involves walking to another part of the hospital, paying more money and waiting . . . .
The x-ray hurt -- that wasn't a good sign, huh?
 
We returned to the doctor's office and waited some more. The x-ray showed that, not only had the bones slipped back out of place, they were actually worse than the original break. :(

Several hours, many more shekels, and 4 tests later [around 2 pm], I left with the grand expectations of surgery.
 
Now we are on day two of the Mt. Scopus adventure. In addition to dear Dr. Dave, our new doctor and his wife took Kent and I to the hospital. I was asked to be there at noon for a probable 3:00 pm surgery. ;)
 
I went to the office to check in and pay. The "nice" secretary told me I was supposed to go directly to Day Care [what we call same-day surgery]. So, I led our merry little band in, out, and around to Day Care. Here there really was a nice lady who apologized and sent me back to the original office. She also called the office and explained why I was returning. $14,600 later we all return to Day Care.!!!
 
The docs left at that point and Kent and I sat in the waiting room for about 2 hours. The TV was on -- some kind tarot card readers or something. It was all in Hebrew so . . . . yawn! Finally they called my name and showed me to a room where I could put on my lovely hospital attire:
 


I was anxious to get on with it. The man with the shoulder bag is my surgeon. Unfortunately, there was some mix up with the anesthesiologist. The doctor said it would be a "short" wait -- maybe an hour.
 
 So, they let me recline in this comfy chair. Kent wasn't so lucky. He was sitting on a hard chair, freezing cold, and hadn't had any lunch. Sweet man!!
 
 Two hours later, someone came and took me up to surgery in a wheel chair -- he was steering with one hand and talking on his cell with the other. We got there, however. Then I waited another 30 minutes or so outside of surgery.
 
 
 Finally, they came and got me and I said goodbye to Kent. By this time it is about 5:30. While Kent was waiting for me, the Petersons brought him some pizza from the branch party that we were all missing. They stayed with him. They will, forever, be my heroes!
 
 
I was in a lot of pain when I woke up and it took several shots of morphine to kill it.


 
 By the time I was conscious [sort of] it was after 8, so I spent the night at the hospital. This is the guy wheeling me to my room. He is also talking on his cell phone. According to Kent he would hang up on one phone and a second one would ring in his other pocket -- popular guy!
 
My newest adventure ends on day three on Mt. Scopus -- I return in 2 weeks. Hopefully, there will NOT be a third adventure!!!

2 comments:

  1. Nancy,
    I cannot believe what you have been through. How awful - and not fair, but I guess life wasn't meant to be fair. You are truly my heroine!! I will quit complaining about stupid little things. LOVE YOU!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right at this moment I am SO jealous that you are going home! :)
      love you both,
      Nancy

      Delete