Wednesday, June 15, 2011

3rd chemo round - Thursday, June 9



Well, 3 down, 5 to go. Actually, now I only have 1 more round of the Andrimyacin/cytoxan drugs and then I do 4 with Taxol. According to the doctor, Taxol isn't as hard on your body as the combo so that is exciting!!!

I was a little worried when I arrived for chemo because my levels had dropped so low after the 2nd round. If they don't go back up to normal, then you have to postpone chemo, until they DO. Yay - I was back up. The "session" was just as the others. Whenever I get discouraged with the "look at what I still have to do" thing, I remember all of the people I've met during chemo. Most of them are going through much worse than I. I met a man this time who has a brain tumor. He has been getting chemo every 2 weeks, since December! And - he has to continue every 2 weeks through this December!!! It makes me so sad for him - but he seems to be handling it very well.

(Don't tell Dr. Rich - but I started in with a head ache Thursday afternoon and I took some Excedrin! Gasp!!!) Headache gone and I felt so good that evening that I went to my support group meeting. I got another bag full of goodies - I couldn't believe it. I also found someone there who actually didn't have severe side affects from her chemo, either. And 2 of the women told me that when their hair came back in, it was white -can you see me with white hair?? I'll look even more like my mom. :)

My darling daughter, Becky, came down and spent the day with me on Friday. We went shopping, she took me to get my Nulasta shot and we just enjoyed being together. [she helped me go through the bag of goodies!] On top of all she did for me - she even brought a delicious home-made lunch! It was really nice. Love you, dear! I was still feeling good that evening, so Kent and I went to Milagros for dinner. Got to see 3 of our darling grand kids. :)

Speaking of going to get my shot - while we were waiting I saw a cancer magazine - sorry I can't remember the name of it - but on the cover are 3 breast cancer survivors. Guess who one of those lovely women is? - our very own Jan Kunz - I know a celebrity!!!

On Saturday morning, my friend Penny took me to some of the "Hidden Gardens" here in Utah County. That was a lot of fun - beautiful day, beautiful yards and a good friend. Thanks, Penny!
I think perhaps I overdid those 3 days because Sunday was not so good. In fact, for some reason, Sunday is my hardest day - even when my immune system is high. I really struggle physically and emotionally on that day - it seems 2 days worth of time. Any thoughts?

The nausea seems to be getting worse - lasting more days and for longer during the day. Poor Kent puts up with a grumpy me quite often! The doctors gave me 2 prescriptions for nausea. One makes me sleepy/loopy, the other doesn't. However, the non loopy one also doesn't do much for the nausea! Ha, ha!!! So, I've decided that I would rather feel sleepy/loopy and NOT nauseous than nauseous. I'll be taking the other pill as needed!

Monday evening we went up Hobble Creek canyon to a friend's house. They had 2 new baby horses to see. Each May or June they host a party for their friends and any family members that we want to bring. Jenny and her fam came with us. The little ones can have rides on horses, on a tractor, in the shovel of a back hoe. There are trampolines, rope swings, zip lines - a kid's paradise! AND they serve warm, home-made chocolate chip cookies and milk. Thanks Flakes for an annual great FHE!

I had a lovely surprise visit from my friend Tina last night. She brought me a home-made blanket to help keep me warm. Isn't it beautiful? You're the best, Tina!!! I'm already putting it to good use.



Today [Wednesday, June 15] the sign is back up and my immune system is back down -- kind of like my emotions will be over the next 5 days. In fact, this morning on my walk I saw my friend, Marj - whose husband, John, is our home teacher. They [the home teachers, not Marj and John] came to visit last night but I bowed out since I'm low. Marj mentioned that John missed seeing me last night. I actually cried for the next block - because I missed seeing them too. Man, hormones - or the lack thereof, or chemo???

Thank you for your support and believe me when I say that your prayers are WORKING!!!

2 comments: