Better late than never, right?? I just found this and saw that I never finished or published it. So we're jumping back to Day 4 of Turkey and I've stuck in a few pics from this most recent trip. The other pictures are from Winter & Fall 2012. Let me remind you that for Fall semester, I was wearing a removable cast - I had just gotten out of my surgical cast and begun physical therapy. Anyway - moving on.
This beautiful place is Assos. Paul went here on his third missionary journey. Getting to the top of Assos, requires walking through a charming little town - but it is all cobble stone and uphill - way uphill. I was nervous about trying this, but Kent stayed with me and helped me over "scary looking" spots. It was good for me because I realized that I could do most of the sites without fear. :)
One of may gorgeous views from the top:
This is from May 2013 - reflecting on my last time in Turkey. :(
I mentioned that we walk through a little village to get to and from Assos. We pass many shops on the way. I thought these table cloths were so beautiful!
This is the theater is in the lower part of the city and we only took the students there in Winter 2012.
This next place is called Pergamum. Pergamum is mentioned in the book of Revelation as one of the seven churches of Asia.
Pergamum was built on a steep hill that rises 1000 feet above the valley floor, so we took trams to the top.
This is what remains of the Temple of Athena
This runs under the temple platform:
The theater, built on the steep slope of the hill, provides a spectacular view of the valley below and contains around 10,000 seats—the steepest seating of any known theater in the ancient world. When we got to here, I opted out and went the easy way around. I do that anyway, even without a cast because it cascades straight down the side of the mountain!
This is from the most recent semester - it was very hot and windy up there! Kent never lost me, though. :)
This is a LOOOONG day of driving on the bus, so these are the only 2 sites we visit. We end up at a very nice hotel where we can relax a bit.


wow, what a view!! i think i'll build a home there ;)
ReplyDeleteOoh - I'd come visit!!
ReplyDelete