Sunday, April 14, 2013

Turkey Day 5

I didn't actually go to Turkey this semester, but I have previous semester pics to share. On Day 5 we go to Ephesus:

 So here is the main road - you can see the famous library at the end 
 
 All along both sides of the road are shops, government buildings,
shrines to various Gods, etc. etc.

 
This is a fountain
 
This is where the Nike symbol comes from. :)  
 
Now we're getting closer to the library
 
 At the library:

 
As you leave the library, you come into the agora - the market area. You know me and my flowers! Aren't they amazing???
 
This used to be the road from the harbor into the agora. The harbor is WAY far away now.
 
 These are what the water pipes looked like:
 
 Here is a grand view of the main attraction - the theater:  
 
In the theater they were preparing for a performance of some sort:
 
As you leave or enter the theater you turn and see this road. It originally connected to the harbor.

 
They have uncovered one area that is full of upscale houses. Entrance requires a separate ticket, so during our free time, Kent and I went and explored.

 
 I took this picture because of the painting on the inside.
 
 These are not "humble" homes.
 
 Private bath
 
 This looks like a wall, but it is actually a floor.
 
 
This is the walkway that exits Ephesus. It was from along here that I took the view of the theater.
 
 
After we leave Ephesus, we have lunch at one of my favorite places of the whole trip. It is a little restaurant run by a woman and her parents. They serve authentic Turkish food and are so gracious to us. They love the students!
 
 
Our last stop of the day is a place called Prienne. It is really beautiful. The reason we bring our students here is because 1) it is a really cool ancient site and 2) you can look across the valley [which used to be a sea port] and see Miletus. Miletus is where Paul went at least twice during his missionary journeys. Miletus is not as awesome as Prienne and is very swampy most of the year.
 

 
Part of what I love about this place is the setting:
 
 This is the temple
 
I was trying to get the sound of their bells in. Oh, well. :)
 
Here is the theater
 
 Here is another broader view of the theater - it would be hard to concentrate on your performance when you had this to look at behind the audience. Actually, this might be a good cure for nerves. Look at the scenery, not the audience. :)
 
In the theater are some VIP seats. In about 1984 Kent and I had our picture taken sitting in one of them. This is really bad, because it is a picture of the picture. This semester, 2 of our students "reinacted" the picture. Scroll down.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment