Sunday, December 23, 2012

Aqaba

 
This past week Kent and I took a much-needed vacation.
We drove to Aqaba, Jordan for 5 days. It's equivalent to driving from Orem to St. George - approximately. It was the perfect place to get away.
 
There were parks to stroll through:
 
 Oh, I guess I'd better explain the cane. The day before we left for Aqaba, Kent went on a hike with some of the men from the branch. It was about 10 miles, I think. One spot, fairly early on in the hike, they had to go down several sets of steps - big, deep ones. Kent's knee strated to hurt - badly. He finished the hike in a lot of pain. That evening the couples in the center were invited to dinner at a friend's home. I went without Kent - he was hurting so much. We were both worried that our trip was not going to happen. I brought the doctor with me when we got home from dinner. The doctor diagnosed it as osteo arthritis. He recommended that Kent take anti-inflammatories and use a cane to help take the weight off of his knee. Thus, the cane in the pics. I'm happy to say that his knee has improved a great deal!! :)


This was a beautiful mosque surrounded by lovely grounds. 


We wandered the streets and people watched, window shopped, and soaked up the warm sun!
 
 
This is looking across the Gulf of Aqaba at Israel.
 
If I turned just slightly to my left I was looking at Egypt!
 

 These were some beautiful gardens - we wondered if they might be community plots or something.  


We had wonderful meals in fun places: 



With the best company!


 This is the Fort of Aqaba - the one that T.S. Lawrence helped conquer.
 
It was closed for renovation, so this is Kent trying to get some pictures of the inside!
 
He succeeded.


Unlike in Jerusalem, Aqaba decorates for Christmas:



 
 
This was the view from our balcony. We spent a lot of time playing games on our balcony.

Close up of the view from our balcony:

 
 
 
The beach was just a short walk away. Lovely!!!
 
 
 

 
 
 
On our last night there, the hotel staff brought me a birthday cake and wished me a Happy Birthday!! Wow - I was so touched. The cake was good, too! :)

 
 
This was a terrific trip - we loved every minute of it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment